- Venomous. The venom is made of complex proteins that enters the bloodstream and destroys blood cells and tissues.
- It punctures the skin with two fangs that fold back up into the roof of its mouth when closed.
- Not especially aggressive and will retreat rather than fight. If it cannot escape, it may vibrate its rattle (at the end of the tail) and strike repeatedly with its mouth either opened or closed.
- Canebrakes are a subspecies of timber rattlesnakes.
- The rattle is a series of hard segments made of keratin.
Canebrakes face concern from the pet trade and human persecution due to fear of the rattlesnakes.