About the Explorer Post
The Zoo Explorer Post is a coed program of Boy Scouts of America. It is sponsored by the City of Alexandria. Explorers offer volunteer service to the Zoo through a variety of duties that include zookeeper assistance, special events, grounds maintenance, construction and education programs.
Not only will your service help the zoo and its programs, but volunteer work is a great addition to your resume! Training sessions are held once a year in June.
Click here for the Explorer Application Form.
- Be at least 14 - 18 years of age and have completed the 8th grade
- Submit a complete registration packet including:
- Letter of recommendation from an adult in the community (teacher, coach, etc.)
- Typed one page essay stating why you want to be an Explorer
- Complete the Explorer Application Form
- Complete interview set up by Explorer supervisor
- Sign a commitment to attend training sessions and remain active in the program for one year
- Attend a mandatory one week training session in May
- Once you have been approved for the program, a $30 registration fee is to be paid along with additional forms to be filled out
- Boy Scout Annual Fee: $20 which provides insurance through BSA
- Zoo Fee: $10 which provides uniform shirt and name tag
- Wear uniform shirt with approved pants and shoes
- Attend meetings (the first Monday of each month unless notified of change)
- Volunteer a MINIMUM of 10 hours per quarter (Jan-Mar / Apr - Jun / Jul - Sept / Oct - Dec)
- Obey rules and regulations set forth by the Zoo and BSA
- Assist zookeepers
- Assist with special events
- Assist with education programs including Summer Safari
- Assist with special projects including construction and landscaping