- Accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums in 1986 (re-accredited in 1991, 1996, 2001, and 2008, 2013). One of only approximately 200 accredited zoos in the U.S., Canada, and Bermuda.
- Winner of the 2001 AZA Exhibit Significant Achievement Award for the Louisiana Habitat Exhibit.
- The #1 family-oriented, educational tourist attraction in Central Louisiana.
- Significant horticulture collection consisting of varied and rare species of trees, shrubs, and bamboo.
- Rare and significant births at the Zoo include maned wolves, clouded leopards, African servals, dik-dik antelope, and flamingos.
The Zoo is one of only 20 in the world to house Malayan tigers, one of 10 zoos in North America to exhibit lowland anoa, and the only AZA facility in North America to exhibit two white-tailed sea eagles.